Saturday, July 28, 2012

Busy Summertime

What a busy few weeks!  And so fun too!  Unschoolers Rock the Campout, Swimming at Alford Lake, Lake Chickie, Megunticook Lake/Barrett's Cove, Pemaquid Beach, Belfast City Pool, rowing with Come Boating, checking out and building stone sculptures at Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve, playing games on the computer and skyping with friends, reading books and hanging out with friends at homes and parks.

Li - Li is going through another phase where he feels compulsion to wash his hands.  I noticed that he has stopped eating eggs.  He used to eat them every day...like 2 or 3, now he is not eating them very often at all.  I don't know if this has anything to do with why he is scrubbing his hands, but I am not ruling that out.  I will breathe and know this will pass again, or at least lighten up.  He finds that if he goes swimming, his hands get reddish like they have sunburn almost and I explained that I thought it was because he was washing too frequently and scrubbing a bit too hard.  I suggested he use wipes and he agreed if they were a certain kind.  I'll have to add that to the shopping list and see if that helps! I also thought of getting him gloves to wear like cotton gloves and he said he might like that.

Li - Li has suddenly developed more of an interest in reading!  A few months ago he liked the graphic greek mythology books (esp the Hades one) and lately he has enjoyed a Choose Your Own Adventure book as well as any of the Captain Underpants books.  We picked them up at the Rockport Library booksale a couple of weeks ago.  He also picked out a huge book called, "The Voyages of Ulysses" as well as a Mad Libs and some other books.  He reads at night with a flashlight, sometimes on car rides and takes them into the bathroom with him.  He has said more than once how he now understands why Katie likes reading so much.  I am glad he enjoys it too as I can identify with loving a good book!

Kanoa - He's full of energy, loud, runs all over the place, doesn't like to eat too much except cookies (chocolate chips are his favorite, though he did enjoy the recent batch of oatmeal-raisin ones I made), ice cream, donuts (specifically the chocolate covered ones Jim occasionally has with coffee), avocados, quesadillas (sometimes he says with no cheese), yogurt, oatmeal and raisins, raisin bread with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, pizza (plain only, with nothing weird on it...it has to look okay to him and not have burned areas or tomato hunks, etc) and he loves smoothies (strawberry bananna with rice milk and sometimes vit c powder, but no "green ones").  We have added the game of sock wars to what we love to play.  He also loves to wield Li's foam sword around and hit things (I direct him to the soft things he can hit).  He plays a game with the Red Rocket and Blue Bomber (from Rockem Sockem Robots) where he leans them onto the bookshelf and then we throw socks or balls or use the sword or another object to try to hit them and pop the heads or knock them over.  Yes, he loves to destroy and beat and win.  Even going down the stairs is a contest and he'll say, "You wait here so I can win."  I usually play the game with him (and so do his siblings) unless I feel pressed for time.  He loves to play with his sea animals in the bathtub or take a bubble bath.  Sometimes he doesn't take a shower with me, but feels scared and so stands between the outside curtain and the liner until I'm done (I try to be quick).  He likes watching the Sideburns video, the sick happy wheels videos or watching someone else play the game, and watching cartoon video's of Mario, especially the one where Mario poops.  He gets a kick out of the same videos his siblings laugh at.  So, yeah, he sees some things my first or second born children would not have.  I don't fret as long as he seems okay with it.  He still doesn't articulate well, but that will come.  He still gets very frustrated and angry and upset frequently, though dare I say I have noticed that getting a teeny bit less very recently.  I wonder if one reason he has these is because he doesn't eat much protein rich foods.  He still nurses alot.  I still am with him almost all of the time, except for when I teach a dance class or go to the store.  I am so glad we are so connected to each other.

Tonight 8/28 I went to a dance show in Rockport and it was nice watching one dancer in particular whose technique was fabulous.  I knew some of the dancers in the show and they did a beautiful job!  It is fun especially when you know the people who are dancing.  I had my cell with me on vibrate only, but it never went off.  Kanoa was fine with Jim at home.

Today Jim and Katie picked up Wolfgang in the van and I took the other kids in the jeep to Phillips's 11th birthday party.  They met a boy Justin who plays on our server with them sometimes.  So cool how playing games online can be a way of making friends.  That is so new - at least to me!  It was so nice to hear Phillip say at his party that it was the best party ever and on the way home, my kids said the same thing!  What a nice time they all had.  Then they got to come home, shower and wait for Wolfgang, Katie and Daddy to come home.  Again, they were so excited because they love Wolfgang and call him "epic."  Then they got to have fun playing games and skyping and thinking and planning and talking about tomorrow when we may go to Fun Town Splash Town with Ruby!!

Katie has been downloading books to my Simple Nook and reading like it is going out of style.  She hangs out with friends and does lots of things that she finds silly and fun.  We've had some nice conversations and she's made me green tea when I felt kind of queasy last Thursday and it helped and I think she felt so good being able to help.  She's such a great person and I love her so so dearly!  We are so blessed to have her in our life.  She really is such a sunny person!

Makana skypes every day while she plays games.  She asks me often how to spell things.  She likes to write or draw in books that she made or in notebooks.




No comments:

Post a Comment