Saturday, April 13, 2013

Grandma's Apple Square Recipe

Here's the apple square recipe that I got from my grandmother Mary Pomanowski (maiden name: Mary Jane Farrell). She used to make these apple squares for church events and always save some for Jene (her friend who is like another grandmother to me) and my brother and I.  Every time I make these I think of her and all the kind things she did for us.

I now make it with 2 cups of regular sugar and either King's white whole wheat flour or King's unbleached flour. I do still use organic raisins. It always comes out good, but sometimes it comes out extra good! :)


Apple Squares

2 cups sugar

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

2 eggs beaten

1 cup oil

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups chopped apples with skin

1 cup raisins


1. Combine dry.

2. Combine wet.

3. Blend dry & wet together

4. Add apples and raisins

5. Press into 13 X 9 X 2 pan

6. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes

Notes:

Sucanat or honey or maple syrup (my favorite alternative) can be used in place of sugar.

I have used about 1 ½ - 1 ¾ cup sweetener instead of 2 cups and it comes out fine.

In place of regular white flour, you can use oat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or brown rice flour.

You can replace the eggs with Egg Replacer (get from health food store).

I usually use either expeller pressed safflower or regular canola oil.

Make sure you use “pure vanilla extract.”

Raisins and apples are two foods that contain heavy amounts of pesticides.  If you were to choose just a few foods to get organic, consider buying organic raisins/grapes, apples and strawberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment